Thursday 24 April 2014

Mango, chili, ginger and crayfish dressing

I often come to realize just how twisted my priorities are. A little while back a letter from the tax authorities notified me that this year, as a result of having overpaid taxes last year (is there anything I won't overdo...?) I'm in for a refund. And did I once stop to review any of the sensible things to do with the money? Put it on savings account for that rainy day? Use it to pay off my VISA bill? Oh. No. My first (and clearly the last, too) was "ooh! Which ones of all the restaurants am I going to book a table at?"

And that will be the end of that money. As is the case with any money I have. Down the throat it goes. One way or another. And it makes for a very good life, there's no denying that one. If even the waste-minimizing operations emptying the fridge regularly produce treats such as duck confit and pear salad, it's only fair to admit how deep in the #firstworldproblems - clouds we live our lives.

The latest invention was this dip/ dressing/ paste/ spread which brings together the best parts of the burgers I've made recently. And damn, how delish it was! Crayfish from the pike burgers, mango, chilli and ginger mayonnaise from duck confit burgers and the pomegranate seeds left over from the Lebanese lamb pizza. Along with the last spoonfuls of Greek yogurt I came across.

The result is thicker and richer than mayonnaise. Mango gives it a lovely fruitiness which the brightness pomegranate seeds compliment, lending it a lovely texture too. Chilli gives it a subtle heat which lime and ginger bring to balance.

And this is ridiculously versatile, too! Try on jacket potatos, in sandwiches, in salads, on crostinis for cocktail treats, as a filling for crépes, in wraps...

For a starter for just 2 people this portion was a bit too generous, but as The Boy Next Door inquired whether or not it would keep in the fridge until the next day I had to say no. Not if I'm anywhere near it wont..!

1 dl mayonnaise
1 dl Greek yogurt
1,5 dl drained crayfish tails
1 generous dl mango purée (like a small, 60 g jar of those baby food purées)
1 small chilli
the finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lime
1 generous tbsp finely chopped coriander
1/2 tsp curry powder
the seeds of 1/4 - 1/2 pomegranate (depending on the size)

Combine the ingredients and let sit in the fridge for about an hour while the flavours develop. Check the taste and season as needed.





Even if you do opt out of the crayfish, this makes a glorious dressing that I intend to be making the most of this BBQ- season!

____________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?


      

No comments :

Post a Comment