Tuesday 10 June 2014

Coleslaw with red cabbage and fennel

You think our life is all Foie Gras and Champagne? Oooh nooo. I never say no to a good sausage. But that's the key: it really needs to be The Good Stuff. I've yet to master the art of making my own, but that I can live with - especially since my butcher at Hakaniemi Market does it so well.

Last weekend was supposed to be hot and sunny. The reality was a lot rainier and grayer. We did empty the counter at my butcher and whaddayaknow - Sunday wasn't anywhere near as wet and gray! Time to fire up the Quattro BBQ!

As a supporting act for the true stars of our sausage fest: herby lamb sausage, Italian-style pork salsiccias and smoky porter the butcher talked us into, I made red cabbage salad. It's one of my all-time favourites at the Israeli dinner tables, loaded with different types of fresh salads. This time, to compliment the spicy sausages I gave mine a little heat from fennel, allspice and pomegranate molasses.

Yiddishe Mama showed up for lunch and for her I made gefilte fish sausages which were even better than the fish kebabs. More on those babeles later!

For dairy-free meal, just skip the yogurt and use only mayo. For a lighter life make the dressing out of Greek yogurt alone. Dried cranberries can be substituted with raisins.

As a side dish this is enough for about 8

1 small red cabbage
1 red onion
1 bulb of fennel
3 tsp red wine vinegar
3 tsp (brown) sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper

Dressing:

3/4- 1 dl good mayo
3/4 - 1 dl Greek yogurt
1 generous tbsp fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
1 tbsp allspice
3 tsp pomegranate molasses (can be found at ethnic shops specialized in Middle Eastern goods, but can also be substituted with balsamico syrup)
1,5 dl soft dried cranberries

Cut the cabbage in half, remove the hard core and outer, leathery leaves. Slice finely. Do the same to the fennel. Also finely slice the onion. Mix red wine vinegar with sugar and pour in. Let them mingle and macerate while you make the dressing, turning occasionally.

Toast fennel seeds on a dry pan and crush. (I finally managed to add a proper pestle and mortar into my collection of how to look like Jamie Oliver and appear you actually know what you're doing- props and man, I'm loving it!) Combine with rest of the ingredients to a smooth dressing and fold into the salad.





_____________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?




          

No comments :

Post a Comment