Tuesday 5 August 2014

In the summertime...

So, I've been doing some thinking. Perhaps The Boy Next Door is right (my eyes hurt as I even type those words)? Perhaps I should take it easy for a while. Even if just for a little while. Enjoy the summer and everything that goes with it?

I'd take a little break from achieving and just...relax (my eyes! My eyes!!!) Try not to lose any sleep over the idea of facing a day without a blog post; not stay up late editing photos. 

Instead of plans and schedules and rush I'd fill my days with joy and happy memories. Instead of lists, goals, and just-the-right-kind-of-these-and-those I'd fill our home with love: leisurely Sunday lunches, laughter and the nearest and dearest of people (and perhaps another antique sofa...?)

I'd focus on enjoying more. Of being together; of feeling good together. Of that wonderful serenity that comes from being able to wake up every morning next to someone who, with his words and his actions shows that's exactly where he wants to be, too. 

No missing, pining or waiting. No hours spent on planes, airports and bitter tears shed at them. No schedules, panic or counting down days to the next inevitable separation. No anxiety over all the things that should be squeezed into the few days still left - just quiet happiness and gratitude for being in the possession of the greatest luxury of all: time. There's still tomorrow. And every tomorrow after that. 




So much has happened in the past half a year. So very much. Changes that are unequivocally for the better, but changes nonetheless. And changes are tiring. It isn't until now that I realize how things, the existence of which I didn't even acknowledge before, are gone. I even find myself breathing differently. Freely. There's no fear; no uncertainty over what's to come. This is good. So very good. 

So, I want to make sure I don't forget to take some time to take it all in. I'm not going to make any lofty promises of switching to a totally stress-free life with no spreadsheets, but to one with a lot less of them anyway. I'll spend less time in the kitchen and more time on The Boy Next Door's arms. Stop planning so much ahead and instead say "yes" to spontaneous little adventures. I'll forget myself in a park and have another glass of rosé. I'll read  more (something other than cook books). Lie on the grass and marvel at the clouds floating by. Eat too  much ice cream. Maybe I'll even have a nap! I won't switch on my laptop. And I'll learn to leave the camera at home. 

I'll at least try not to be crushed by spending an entire weekend without any new material for the blog. And then, once I've learnt that, maybe even longer (!). I'll try and remember no-one's world's going to come down even if I don't have time (or energy) to attend every launch or opening. Most importantly: I'll try to be more present in those little passing moments that make up the beauty of life and remember that not everything needs to go on Instagram. 

I'll try to learn that pretty often the privilege of sharing a special moment with that one person you love the most is a lot more important than being in a rush to share with total non-Windows-operating strangers. And that seeing the happiness in his eyes is something no amount of "likes" can compete with. 

I want blogging to remain fun; both for you and for me. And for that I need the content to be good - you guys don't deserve anything less. So, for a while that might mean a little less frequency here on the blog and a little less activity on the blog's Facebook page, but do join us on Instagram! (Leopards and their spots - you know how it is)

And most importantly: let's all have a very, very happy and sunny summer!


_____________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



      




No comments :

Post a Comment