Saturday 8 November 2014

Crispy fried calamari with nori salt

Can you freaking believe this country that I live in? When Burger King opened in Finland, the queue actually went around the block. Next invasion: Starbucks. And now there are talks about Dunkin' Donuts. I'm not crazy about chain restaurants and even after all my travelling around the world I'm in no rush to have any international chains here either.

Well... maybe... with the exception of Wagamama, which I fell for when living in London. In Stockholm (yes, they have a branch over there!) it's always one of my must-eats. And I always have the same order: duck gyozas, serving of edamame and and those deliriously delicious crispy fried calamari. And what do you know - we'll be minibreaking in Stockholm next weekend! Only I have already planned the day around eating to a point that there's simply no room for Wagamama - neither in the schedule or in my stomach... So, I'll have to make do with a home-made version!




Serves 2-3


Crispy calamari:

350 g baby squid (cleaned tubes and/or tentacles)
2-3 dl rice flour

oil for frying

Thaw and drain the squid. Pat them dry. Cut the tubes open and score the insides with a sharp knife in a diamond pattern. This way the curl up nicely when fried. The tentacles can be used as they are.

Drench the squid in rice flour and leave them there for about 15 minutes. This way they'll be thoroughly dry and coated which helps them get crisp. Heat oil and a heavy-based pan and fry squid in batches for a couple of minutes.  Drain on kitchen towels and sprinkle with nori salt. 

Nori salt:

4 sheets of nori (seaweed)
4 tbsp sea salt

Bake nori sheets at 200 for 5-7 minutes until they're dry and crunchy. Grind them either using a pestle and mortar or blender. Mix with salt and store in an air-tight container. 


______________________



SAISIKO OLLA LISÄÄ?



      


No comments :

Post a Comment