Tuesday 3 February 2015

Less is never more - chicken in creamy sauce with grapes (gluten-free)

I confess: I'm a tiny person. And often plagued with envy. I look at other blogs; their airy, minimalist look and expression and kick myself. Then I look around in my home, occupied by whimsical antique furniture named after 70's rock legends (seriously: we have a 100-year-old sofa named Frank Zappa. Who has a girlfriend in the form of an arm chair called Hjördis) and kick myself some more. Where are the clean-cut lines? Scandinavian design classics? Grown-up, understated elegance? But I suppose it does reflect its inhabitant: always just a little bit too much...

So, in one of those blogs I so admire, just oozing restraint and confidence this recipe would probably be titled something like "chicken, leek and grapes". See how enticing it makes it sound? I'd want to be friends with someone like that! Behind the title though you'll find wine, cream and butter. Ingredients for maximal indulgence. And tasting the result you'd never guess it's at the table in less than half an hour. A perfect weekday treat then. Go ahead - spoil someone today already!

Serves four

1 (organic) chicken
2 large cloves of garlic
1 smallish leek
1 generous tbsp butter
2 dl white wine
5 dl chicken stock
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp mustard
2 dl cream
200 g green grapes
salt, black pepper

To serve: 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Cut the chicken in 8 pieces (or have your butcher do it). For how-to, please see here. If you want, use the carcass for making home-made chicken stock. I was lazy (yes, even I have those days!) and didn't. Instead I chucked it into the broth to give it even me flavour. 

Cut the white part of leek into thin rings and sauté with garlic in butter. Thena dd white wine, stock, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to boil and add chicken. Lower the temperature and let simmer for 15 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked through. Lift the chicken out of the broth and discard the carcass. Keep covered while you finish making the sauce. 

Add mustard and cream into the pan and bring to boil. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes until it starts to thicken. Check the taste, season as needed and add grapes. Continue cooking for half a minute and pour over the chicken. Serve. For instance with rice. Which allows you to mop every last drop of the sauce. Unless you'd rather stick your head straight into the pan and lick them. As I do...





___________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



      



No comments :

Post a Comment