Wednesday 3 June 2015

Behind the scenes - the story of food photography

Food blogging combines many of my passions. Food (obviously!), writing and photography. But it's the photography part that I probably love absolutely the best. Over the past 2 years I've shot thousands of photos. Some of them even I am happy with. The early ones are certainly no treats...!




I always use natural light. For winter I did get a day light lamp but it can't compete with the real deal. 

I would love to have my own studio but that's probably going to be just a dream for a very long time. In the meanwhile I'll continue my elaborate staging operations in my kitchen. Sometimes the props take over the living room, too.

Crafty cropping is the key to many of the photos...!








When I fall for something, I really give it my all. Be it New Kids On The Block or food photography.

I have amassed loads and loads of all sorts of props; from textiles to boards I use as the background and from crockery to cutlery. Trawling flea markets is one of my favourite hobbies!




My camera has, from the beginning of the blog, been Canon 7D. About a year ago I finally got proper editing software (Lightroom) and started shooting in RAW. One of the best decisions I've ever made. 

The objective I mostly use these days is 50 mm 1.4. I also gave in and got a tripod, which has been a great purchase. Now I can take my time styling the photos and finding the right angle and that perfect shot no longer takes tens and tens of tries.

At the editing stage I only really enhance the colours, other than that they're pretty much what they were as they came out of the camera. 

I can be a bit fussy sometimes. There have been times when a recipe hasn't made it onto the blog simply because I wasn't happy with the photos...




Usually I have a clear vision of how I want the photo to look like. Sometimes  less is more...




... sometimes more is never enough.






___________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?


      

No comments :

Post a Comment