Saturday 10 June 2017

Salt - one of my favourite restaurants in Tallinn

* * * 

Salt has remained one of my firm favourites in Tallinn's vibrant restaurant scene. And not just because they love octopus as much as I do!

* * * 

Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_1



In my role as one of the Taste of Helsinki ambassadors, I've travelled to Tallinn for 2 days to gather some intel. With me is a blogger colleague I don't know.

Suddenly I, the courageous culinary crusader who's survived the weirdest of crisis situations out there in the world, feel very Finnish (that's shy and awkward).

I feel like I'm on a blind date. Ive even shaved my legs (and done my nails). Social anxiety is about to swallow me: my palms are sweating and my mouth is dry.

What is she won't like me?


Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_2


The anxiety turns out to be both mutual and pointless. Foodies systematically seem to be the nicest people out there - never a quiet moment with them!

And just to prove a point: my date has made the first reservation at Salt, one of my favourite Tallinn establishments (for more on this restaurant, please see the blog over here). 

How could I not like her?



Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_3


Though Salt also offer a small lunch menu consisting of a couple of extremely attractively priced options (everything for under €6), for true culinary fireworks you should go for the á la carte (also available during lunch).



Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_4


The starters (priced from €3.50-13.50€) seduce us straight away. I'm almost as excited about the items on the menu as I am about my date's open mind. No matter what I suggest, her response is an enthusiastic "yesssss!"

Total girl crush developing over here!

The menu features delicacies each more tempting than the next - some of them familiar from previous trips, too (as you're about to see...!). Big thumbs up for octopus and use of offal. 

We clink our glasses (Pinot Noir rosé from Alsace) and begin our feast.



Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_5


First up: roasted scallops with foie gras ad yuzu beurre blanc (€13.50).

Sounds divine, right? That's because they were.


Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_6


Then some oysters (€3.50 a pop)

So fresh, so full of aromas of the ocean. 

How could anyone ever get enough of these?



Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_7


Then it's Scandinavian octopus carpaccio with horseradish cream cheese; wrapped in black sesame waffle cones and topped with tobiko roe (€9).

Sesam's lovely toastiness lent the dish a wonderful earthiness, though the horseradish cream cheese mousse was strangely placed at the end of the cone, meaning we only got to it by the time everything else was long gone. 

Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_9


And then off to some of the old favourites!

Bull's testicles that I had here the last time elicited some intriguing reactions among you readers, but I just had to have some again. This time they came in Japanese style karaage form (€9.50).

The dish was accompanied by excellent Sriracha and lime mayo, but rye flour used in the coating did not work with the overall ensemble and instead lent it rather unpleasant, almost burnt taste reminiscent of crisp bread.



Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_10


Today's winner was Korean style elk tartare (€10.50). Crisp fried lotus root, marinated enoki mushrooms and crunchy apples provided the dish with wonderful textures while Hoisin sauce (?) added a nice Asian touch, without overpowering the game-yness. 

Crikey. Now there's a tartare! This one definitely sweeped straight into my tartare ranking's Top 3 - even topping Meat District's creation

Crikey, indeed. 



Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_11


We spoiled our dessert stomachs (oh yes, that's a whole separate stomach, that!) with some cannolis (which were actually Mascarpone-filled waffle cones...?) and Pavlova bubble; filled with lemon mousse among other things (€5 each). 

They sure know what they're doing over here. 


Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_12


This tiny restaurant has remained one of my favourites ever since they opened and this is the restaurant I've been recommending to everyone to a point no-one asks for my opinion anymore. 

The most recent White Guide ranks Salt as #10 in the capital Tallinn and #13 in the whole country, but personally I think that they are far superior than some of the Tallinn restaurans listed above it. 

Service works and value for money ratio is excellent. Our lunch for two, washed down with Pinot Noir and dessert wine was under €80. 

What are your Tallinn restaurant favourites? Is Salt among them?


Restoran Salt_resturant Salt_best restaurants in Tallinn_Under the Andalusian Sun_food blog_travel blog_13


* * * 

Salt

Vase 14
10125 Tallinn

tel. +372 518 8510

info@saltrestoran.ee

www.saltrestoran.ee

* * * 

___________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?


Noa_Tallinna_Tallinnan parhaat ravintolat_Andalusian auringossa_ruokablogi_matkablogi_1           

SHARING IS CARING!



Sharing is caring Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

No comments :

Post a Comment