Thursday 9 May 2013

Cafeteria, piscineria, ferreteria...churreria!


As has been revealed, Spanish is a language I have yet to master. Though I think I might have promised The Man Upstairs during the New Year celebrations that I would learn it this year...

Sometimes my brain surprises me though. We were once looking for a hardware store and (once again) realized how much easier life would be if we only spoke the local lingo. Until at the traffic lights I experienced one of my Rainman moments. Coffee is café, and it's sold in a cafeteria. Pool on the other hand is called piscina, which are sold in piscinerias. So... if iron in Latin is  ferrum, the Spanish equivalent for the shop must be something in the lines of that. Such as ferreteria (though equally logical and viable theory is that they are shops specialized in particular breed of rodents)

As I declared this to The Gentleman it was his turn to be surprised. "Where did that come from?" he wanted to know, amazed. Well, courtesy of university studies, funded by 7 years of student loans. Even us arts and farts humanities people have our moments... Next I found myself explaining to the clerk how we needed something to remove the graffiti that had been painted on our garage door. At which point I, too, was surprised.

However, one thing that I've always been in the know of are churrerias. They sell churros. And without them Sunday just isn't Sunday. The Madrid style churro madrilengas are thinner, crisper and not so sweet.




The ones more prevalent in Andalusia (apparently also known as tejeringa or baton) are the Malagan style churro malagueñas which have a donut-like texture and are usually cut from a big swirly thing (for footage see here). Which the locals enjoy in mountains on Sundays after the church.




See, these treats can not be enjoyed any time - for instance our churreria only serves them until 1 pm and again from 5 pm onwards.




Needless to say they are best freshly fried. And dipped into thick, rich, chocolatey cocoa. And I don't need to tell you the best variety for this is Finnish Fazer's Blue. Obviously.

No comments :

Post a Comment