Wednesday 25 September 2013

Apple and frangipane tart

Apple is one of those things I've not had any shortage of in recent weeks - my colleagues' trees are brimming over. And the foodblogger can't get enough of that. Literally. Before burdening the blogosphere with yet another apple pie recipe I wanted to try something new, so I whipped up this frangipane filling. The making of which was another fine example of the ardour with which I cook and plan and and photograph and stage and curse the limited facilities of my miniature kitchen... while writing down stuff at the same time. Occasionally the last entry takes the back seat - multitasking (along with budget management and drinking in moderation) really doesn't seem to be one of my fortes. 





Now, I do remember writing the recipe down somewhere. I just can't remember where. But this is (just about) how it went...

Some of the flour in the base can be substituted with oat flour, but I wouldn't recommend more than 1 dl. Otherwise, owing to the different properties of oat,  you'll end with dry and crumbly base.

Base:

3,5 dl flour
125 g butter
1/2 tbsp cardamom
1 dl sugar
3-5 tbsp cold butter

2-4 apples (depending on the size)

Rub the ingredients (apart form the water) into a crumbly mixture. Then add water, little at a time until it starts sticking together. Wrap tightly in cling film and let rest in the fridge for half an hour. 

Then roll fairly thinly so it's a little bigger than your tin. Carefully wrap it around the rolling pin and transfer into the (loose bottom) pie dish. Or just press the dough on so it covers the tin evenly. Then place a sheet of foil on top of the base and fill the cavity with ceramic baking beans or dry beans or peas. Blind bake at 200° (180° fan) for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and continue baking for further 5 minutes. Let cool a bit and then spoon in the filling. Place the sliced apples on top and continue baking until done. If crust seems to be getting too much colour, cover the edges with foil.


Frangipane:

1,5 dl almond flour
3/4 dl sugar
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1 egg
3 tbsp butter

Mix the ingredients to a smooth paste. Spoon into a slightly cooled shell. Place the apples on top and continue baking until the pie is done - 25-35 minutes. For an even nicer finish you can mix 1 tbsp apricot marmalade with 1 tbsp water. Glaze the apples and return to the oven for a couple of more minutes.




Can I just say I'm in love with that tin? And that you'll be seeing it in the blog a lot? Though the miniature proportions of my miniature kitchen caught me off guard. Again. See, that dish measures 36 cm long. Which conveniently enough is the exact width of my oven. Which means that while I could get in in the oven, I couldn't get it out. A couple of energetic (!)  blows (!!) against the wall (!!!) took care of that as I managed to bend a couple of strategic millimetres off the length. With my biceps I figured that was easier than trying to expand my oven. But please, do not try that at home. Instead try this clever little tip: MEASURE THE OVEN BEFORE YOU GO INTO THE SHOPS.


__________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



        



No comments :

Post a Comment