Friday 3 January 2014

Smoked salmon mousse

A week with one's family can be... somewhat exhausting. But home is a pretty lonely place to return to afterwards. The only thing greeting you is that rubbish you forgot to take out before leaving. Well, that's not entirely true: I was surprised to find that the avocados in my fruit basket (that I'd forgotten there as well) had ripened to perfection while I was away. Surprised is q good word to describe my emotions: I did not even remember buying avocados. And sure enough closer examination revealed they were actually mangoes (I think) whose mummification had rendered them unidentifiable. So much for the noble attempts to waste nothing...

New year is the time for new beginnings. Those are in the cards and I can't wait to be able to share them with you. It is also the time for resolutions (that all too soon turn out to be impossible to keep). Less of this, more of that... Having repeatedly reached for the stars myself, only to fall face down in the pit of failure I'm not going to make any lofty promises of major lifestyle makeovers. But I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and be a little lighter? Both in my attitude and cooking? Eat more fish and consume less meat? One thing I refuse to let go of though is turning everyday into a celebration!

And with this fishy, fairly light and most importantly, festive treat I ring in my year 2014 in recipes! This smoked salmon mousse/ paté/ spread is quick, easy and elegant and versatile. You can use it to fill a sandwich or serve as canapés; either on a crostini, piece of cucumber or piped into a tiny tart shell (for which you could use the crust from salmon, spinach and egg tart). With a bit more créme fraîche in the mix these would also world for jacket potatos.

Dill could be substituted with finely chopped chives, too. For Asian twist dill could also be substituted with chopped spring onions and coriander leaves and the mousse itself could be spices with ginger paste and a dollop of sweet chilli- sauce.




As a starter this is enough for 6-8 people. 

250 g warm smoked salmon
150 g cold smoked salmon
75-200 g créme fraîche (depending on how firm/ fishy you want it)
zest of 1 lemon
small bunch of  dill, finely chopped
lemon juice
salt, pepper

to serve: lemon wedges

Blizz the salmons and mix in créme fraîche and a dash of lemon juice. Fold in finely grated lemon zest and dill and season. Serve with crostinis or for instance with crisp bread, poppy seed crackers, archipelago bread or toasted flat bread crisps.





__________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



        



No comments :

Post a Comment