Sunday 19 June 2016

The second best salmon soup in the archipelago

* * * 

Archipelago salmon soup is wonderfully rich and full of flavours of summer. And orange.


* * * 

We're not completely frivolous in our tiaras, The Cat Blogger and I. We're quite capable of carryng on conversations that are very deep and meaningful. During our latest trip to Aland we took on the wellbeing of the entire planet (that UN really aren't doing their bit, are they?) and got thinking about the Fatal Flaws In The World.

And let's face it, there's no imminent shortage of those. There's abject poverty, famine and wars. There are human rights violations, insufferable inequality and men wo never call you back. 

With me the most the biggest mistake in God's plan is the fact I wasn't born in the archipelago. I, along with my nautica sripes would feel so at home there, glowing in tan courtesy of perpetual sun and sailing, pickling herring and serving heaving plates of shrimps to the dinner guests gathered on the deck of our boat.

In Aland I blended in that stripy crowd so well my companion occasionally struggled to spot where this Waldo is. 

In archipelago my dietary awaeness also invariably experiences an natural, albeit temporary, wake-up call. As I'm feasting on all those shrimps, fish soups, gubbröra and Toast Skagens I find myself declaring rather convincingly how I could live on this alone. Until the companion (once again) reminds me of the existence of things like bacon. And Iberico ham. And that oxtail ragú of mine

Luckily there are ways to hold on to the archipelago-dweller within even back home by serving oneself a generous portion of this archipelago inspired fish soup. Just close your eyes and visualize yourself sitting on the pier, carelessly swinging your legs over the glimmering sea as the evening sun kisses your freckles. In the ghetto conditions of mainland the last two can coneveniently be substituted with a bucket of ice cold water and a bright light lamp.

I've humbly named the soup The second best salmon soup in the archipelago. The first prize still goes to the one at Fyren in Nauvo and quite justifiably so. Helt suveränt!

I used the salmon stock I made myself (the recipe for which you'll find here) but feel free to use a good store bought variety. 





Serves 4-6

Archipelago salmon soup:

1,5 l good fish stock
the juice of 2,5 oranges (2,5 dl)
1 large onion
8 potatos (total weight 750 g)
4 carrots ( total weight 250 g)
12 allspice peppercorns
600 g salmon (or other fish) 
2,5 dl heavy cream
25 g butter

for serving: bunch of dill

Bring the stock to boil. Add allspice, sliced onion and chopped up veggies. Continue cooking until the veggies are just about done. Then add fish in similar sized cubes and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.

Add cream and bring to boil. Stir in butter and dill. Serve. With toasted archipelago bread croutons. 

Oh, my recipe for archipelago bread? Right over here!





___________________


ANYONE FOR  SECONDS?



      


SHARING IS CARING!
Sharing is caring Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

No comments :

Post a Comment