Wednesday 22 April 2015

Iranian Shirazi salad

All systems have been go of late and more than often this spring and everything it's had in store has left me totally exhausted. 

One morning I woke up to a loud, banging noise and my immediate reaction was that this is it: Putin has invaded Finland and we're at war (ah, the joys of having the longest land border with the most unpredictable country in the world...). Still half asleep I was trying to reason what would be the best thing to do in such an occasion. In the end I decided to do nothing: just stay in bed and die there - seeing how I didn't have the energy to eve get up and shave my legs (yes, the first stop during times of crisis...). Which is just as well - the noise turned out to be the sound of my neighbour's very vigorous carpet-cleaning operation.

So, even I can't always be at my most creative in the kitchen. Which has given me reason to finally go through some of this spring's new cook books. This salad called Shirazi, is from one of them. Though from Iran, initially.




Shirazi salad:

1 large cucumber, in cubes
6 ripe tomatos, in similar size cubes
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dried mint
salt, pepper
the juice of 1 lime
1/2 dl olive oil
the seeds from 1 medium pomegranate
2 tsp sumac

Cut the cucumber into 1,5 cm cubes. De-seed the tomatos and cut into similar size cubes. Add onion, mint and season to taste. Combine lime juice and oil and pour into the salad. Finally sprinkle pomegranate seeds and sumac on top.

The salad is best served chilled, so chill it in the fridge for at least half an hour before serving.






___________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



      

No comments :

Post a Comment