Saturday 19 October 2013

Best cookies in the world

Back when I lived in London I used to pop in Millie's cookies near Soho and get their wonderfully chewy cookies which I'd then sneak into cinemas. To wash down with a pint of milk. Yeah, my Soho doesn't sound terribly street cred, does it? The variety at Millie's was endless: popcorn, dried berries, nuts, ginger, white chocolate, dark chocolate...

Luckily I stumbled upon this recipe by a fellow blogger. The original recipe can be found here. In a no holds barred fashion the recipe was titled "best cookies in the world". Sucker that I am, I was sold. 

Her (already modified recipe) called for bread flour, which I substituted with oat flour (rolled oats blizzed into oblivion). In addition to that I used soft, dried cranberries left over from tropical chocolate. Instead of dark chocolate I used white one which I figured would compliment oat and cranberries better.

Having misplaced my kitchen scale at some point I converted the original instructions to desilitres. 

The original recipe instructed to bake these for 15-20 minutes, but mine were done is about 10. The aspects to take into consideration include the mood your oven's on, the consistency of the dough, the ingredients (oat lends the dough certain crispness) and the size of the cookies. Therefore I highly recommend you bake one test cookie to calculate the perfect time for your batch. The cookies are supposed to be soft when they come out of the oven - they will firm up as they cool. In the oven the surface billows, but as you take them out, it goes down resulting in that crater-like appearance which is a tell-tale sign of sublime chewiness waiting inside. 

That chewiness is the key to these American style cookies. This is a result of two things: short baking time and, apparently, long resting time for the dough. The latter allows the dry and wet ingredients marry each other in a way Kim Kardashian and Britney Spears couldn't even dream of. So, while the recipe itself is easy, it does put your patience to test. Then again, that does seem to be the price for recipes like this - much like with that infamous no knead bread.

The recipe yields 20 big cookies and 40 about the size of a golf ball

5 dl oat flour
2 3/4 dl all purpose flour
285 g butter
2 3/4 dl sugar
3 1/4 dl cane/ dark sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 dl dried cranberries
200 g white chocolate

Whisk sugars and butter into pale yellow foam. Then add the eggs, one at a time. Combine the dry ingredients and then pour slowly into the dough. Then add roughly chopped chocolate and cranberries. Cover tightly (press it into the dough-tightly) and let rest in the fridge for minimum of 24 hours. Preferably 48. But even 72 hours.

On the baking day pre-heat the oven to 175°. Roll the dough into balls the size of a golf ball and place on the parchment-lined tray. Leave space between them- these babies will spread. Bake as needed (see instructions above) and let cool. 

You can bake the the cookies in batches too. The rest of the dough can be wrapped in cling film and frozen. Or eaten directly from the bowl. Though the last option is only recommended when no-one's watching.




And with this post I'd like to thank all of you readers (a.k.a. my Dad and two middle aged cat owners) for the journey so far - it's been 9 months and I'm glad you've taken the time to share my baby!


__________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



        

No comments :

Post a Comment