Wednesday 30 October 2013

Kale carbonara

I stumbled upon half a bag of kale hiding at the back of my fridge. Resilient rascal, I must say - I don't even remember buying it! Not wanting to waste anything I had to think of something to do with it. And since I haven't made pasta in a while either this dish took care of both of those problems. It's not quite carbonara, so technically I shouldn't call it that. That was the inspiration though, with notes of that kale quiche. So, I also used some of the thyme that's still defiantly sitting on my window sill, having outlived its life expectancy by miles. Usually my herbs tend to lose their will to live quicker than their gardener. 

Would you believe if I told you that I made my own pasta again? Ok, neither would I. But I will tell you this: it did not come from Barilla. After the recent management level brain farts I'll happily leave those for the superstraight and übermacho Italian mama's boys.

If you have some, you could add Parmesan ( 1 dl) into the yolk- cream- mixture too in which case you can probably omit the cream entirely




A generous portion for 2 or a slightly more reasonable one for 3

2 portions of pappardelle or tagliatelle

4 leaves of kale
140 g bacon
2 large garlic cloves
2 yolks
2 dl cream
1 tsp mustard
A handful of thyme leaves
(salt) pepper

Cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet and in the meanwhile prepare the sauce.

Chop bacon into strips or chunks of your desired size. Fry on a pan until crisp. Lift out of the pan with a slotted spoon. Leave some of the bacon fat (a couple of tbsp) into the pan, lower the heat and fry thinly sliced garlic in it. 

Trim the kale: remove the hard stalk in the middle and if needed. any other harder core bits. Slice finely and add to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes (or longer if you want yours really soft).  Add some of the cooking liquid from pasta if needed. Then add thyme leaves. 

Whisk the yolks and add mustard, cream (and cheese if using). Season carefully as bacon in itself is very salty.

Drain pasta reserving some of the cooking liquid. Dump them into the pan, toss around for a bit until done and then pour in the yolk-cream- mixture. Remove from the heat - this stops the yolks from scrambling. The residual heat will cook the yolks. Serve. Like carbonara, I served mine with cracked black pepper I'd toasted on a hot pan. 






__________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



        



No comments :

Post a Comment