Thursday 10 October 2013

Lemon posset

I don't always remember where I've left my keys and I could only recite the first three decimals of the square root (?) of Pi (??) . The meals I've had in my life however - no problem. The best chicken I've ever had? At a country club in Salo. The highlight of a family holiday nearly quarter of a century ago near Tampere? Their lemon pudding. I can still remember how I kept going for seconds and thirds... It tasted exactly like this lemon flavoured chewing gum I couldn't get enough of.

With any luck I possess a bit more refined palate now. Though it did go equally gaga over the lemon posset I had in Tallinn. So naturally I had to have more. Like, straight away. 

Luckily Guardian's food section runs a series ever so humbly titled " "how to make the perfect..." in which the latest addition was that very treat. Posset, which apparently first saw the light of day as a medieval hot drink. How on earth it evolved to the cooling, refreshing pudding we know today is beyond me. As is comprehending how something that simple can be that good!

In England, where this delicacy hails from it is traditionally served with proper, all-butter-shortbread. But summer berries, especially blueberries and raspberries make great accompaniments too. I rustled up a praline to go with mine which allowed me to come up with something to do with all the leftover nuts.






Makes six small or three bigger ones

Possets:

2 (organic) lemons
1,5 dl sugar
4 1/4 dl cream

Grate the lemon zest finely and squeeze the juices. The amount needed for this is 1 dl (if you prefer a less tangy taste, go for 3/4 dl). Measure the zest, juice and sugar to boil in a small pot until the sugar has completely dissolved. In another pan heat cream. Add lemon syrup to this. Let cool a bit and then strain. Pour into serving dishes, let cool completely in room temperature and then cover with clingfilm and keep chilling for at least a couple of hours in the fridge before serving.

Praline:

3 dl nuts and/or almonds
1 dl sugar
1/4 dl water

Let the sugar melt in a frying pan. Then add water and nuts. Make sure all the nuts are covered by the caramel and then pour onto a baking sheet. Let cook and break into chunks.



__________________


ANYONE FOR SECONDS?



        


No comments :

Post a Comment